Monday, July 21, 2008

When the going gets tough, the tough gain strength

In today's society, it is all about a woman being strong. Having strong, toned bodies, strong minds challenged in their high profile careers, strong parenting skills, strong interpersonal skills, strong goals, strong opinions, strong will. We all know women who fit the bill. We may even look up to them, wishing we were stronger. My sister (and brother~in~law...but this is about women)has had a week that would try even the strongest of people. One where people she loves and cares for have shown a side that is vendictive and ugly. One where everyday brings a new sadness, a new challenge, a new heartache. But, my sister isn't strong. Don't get me wrong, she isn't a wimp. She isn't one to backdown from truth or hide from a tough situation. But she isn't a strong woman. She is a woman of strength. Don't see the difference? The poem below explains what I see in my sister. It explains, more eloquently than I ever could, what a woman of strength is. What my sister is.


A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape…
but a woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape…

A strong woman isn’t afraid of anything…
but a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear…

A strong woman won’t let anyone get the best of her…
but a woman of strength gives the best of her to everyone…

A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future…
but a woman of strength realizes life’s mistakes can also be God’s blessings and capitalizes on them…

A strong woman walks sure footedly…
but a woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls…

A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face…
but a woman of strength wears grace…

A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey…
but a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong

Copyright © 2005 Dee Cheeks

Dear Sis, I pray God will give you continued strength as He works to reveal His will for you. Thank you for being an example of Godly strength in even the worst of situations. I love you!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Thank you for the encouraging, beautiful, kind words. Your support has been such a blessing during this time of craziness. I wouldn't have near the strength I do if it weren't for you!! I love you, Sis!